All You Ever Needed to Know about Kampong Chicken in Singapore
Research shows that kampong chicken, initially found in Indonesia, is better than most chicken breeds in Asia. Although known for its better taste and higher nutritional value, the awareness regarding cooking styles and their key benefits could be much higher. That’s why we’ve developed a thorough guide to help you find kampong chicken Singapore, tips to cook it and discuss its benefits.
1. Steamed chicken – Looking for a healthy yet tasty recipe? Steamed kampong chicken is the best solution for you. Braise the breast pieces of kampong chicken in water for 25 minutes and serve with any dipping sauce you like. We personally recommend light soy sauce with spring onion, coriander, ginger and shallots.
2. Country-style stew – This is one of the easiest and tastiest recipes for kampong chicken. It will extract the nutrients and taste of the chicken, and it takes only 30 minutes to cook. Serve the chicken with pickled vegetables for a wholesome meal with your friends and family.
3. Steam herbal chicken – A whole kampong chicken is best for this recipe, or you can use medium-sized pieces. Using a variety of herbs, you can steam the chicken, slow cook or even bake it using this recipe. Boil the herbs in a pot for 20 minutes, placing the chicken on an aluminium-wrapped bowl and pouring the boiled herbs over it. Finally, cook the chicken for 2 hours using any method you like.
What are the benefits of kampong chicken?
Due to its versatility, chicken has found a permanent place in most of our regular diets. Compared to easily-available chicken, kampong chicken is a special breed raised in ‘kampongs’ or villages.
1. The primary benefit of this breed is the high protein-to-fat ratio compared to other chicken. Hence, it provides better fibre and nutrients than other breeds available in Singapore.
2. Kampong chickens are also free-range chickens, as they are allowed to run free on their farms. Letting the chickens run free strengthens their legs and bodies, leading to healthier batches of meat.
3. Kampong chicken available in Singapore, is tested against antibiotic use. So that you can enjoy your kampong chicken recipes stress-free.
Where to find kampong chicken in Singapore?
According to research, Malaysia is one of the largest exporters of chicken for Singapore. In 2020, Singapore imported 3.1 million kgs of chicken from Malaysia. After a minor snag in 2021, Singapore has continued this trade with Malaysia. Now you can get kampong chicken delivered right to your doorstep with Kee Song’s online delivery services. So, are you ready to try out the new recipes for kampong chicken in Singapore and explore the health benefits for yourself?